As soon as October 1st arrives, I'm beyond excited for Hallowe'en! Who's with me?

25 Aug 2016

ELLESMERE PORT WATERWAYS MUSEUM


When I was a kid, my mum's uncle bought a canal boat to renovate. I remember vividly that once it was ready, we spent many a wonderful weekend messing about on the canal! Being Northern and living in the North West of England usually means that you are never usually too far away from a branch of the canal, and indeed we usually find ourselves walking along our nearest tow path on a sunny day, cameras in hand, snapping the colourful boats as they drift lazily by! I love the laid-back, low stress life on the canals. After a week's holiday on a canal boat back in 2010, I fell in love with the lifestyle and have ever since dreamed of owning my own boat.

Of course, life on the canals wasn't always this chilled out. Ellesmere Port Waterways Museum is a wonderfully put together, free, educational and preservation centre designed to inform you about the 'Boat People', how they lived and worked on the waterways, the cramped conditions and poor pay, but how and why this lifestyle was preferable to working in the factories and mills. To find out more about the museum click here.

Here are a few of our photos from our visit to give you a little insight;







Making friends with the local cat










A peek inside the restored Porter's Row cottages 







Hope you enjoyed my little pictorial. If you live close enough and get the chance to visit the museum, give it a whirl and let me know what you think!