21 Oct 2014

BIRD FAT CAKE


During the Summer months I don't feed the birds too often, as it can discourage them from hunting around for food themselves, however, as soon as we start heading towards Autumn and the colder months, and a natural supply becomes a little sparse, I usually like to give them a helping hand!


This fat cake can be made quickly and with very little effort, from ingredients that you may already have lurking in your pantry, with a few small additions! Let's get started!

INGREDIENTS

500g Lard
3/4 cup (about 120gm) peanut butter
1/2 cup (about 96 gm) plain or wholemeal flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cornflour
Half a loafs worth of breadcrumbs
1 cup (about 130 gm) of mixed bird nuts and seeds


METHOD 

Melt the lard and peanut butter together over a low heat, then mix the cornflour, sugar and flour together and stir this into the pan with the peanut butter and lard.

Add enough breadcrumbs to absorb all the liquid.


Give everything a good stir and then add the seed and nut mix.


At this point, you can also add any bits of dried fruit, and bacon rind or fat left over from cooking your bacon. I always save this if I know I am going to be making a fat cake!


The final result should look like the picture below!


Disgusting looking I know, but trust me, the birds love it!


My mixture usually divides quite easily between two 2lb loaf pans. I find the sillicone type is the best as you don't need to line them. Also, the cakes come out of them a lot easier!

Allow the mixture to set in the fridge for a couple of hours, remove and place in a cool area. Break the cakes up with a meat mallet or rolling pin into smaller pieces for the birds to enjoy! Keep the cakes refrigerated after you have broken them up and use them up within four days.

Let me know if you decide to make these and what kinds of birds they attracted to your garden!

Here's one we made recently, being devoured by a local pigeon in our back garden!