22 Apr 2014

WHAT'S ON MY IPOD?



Now, technically, this isn't an ipod, as I'm sure most of you will have noticed! It's my old iphone 3gs which I now use as an ipod, since I got a new phone a couple of months ago. Over the Easter break, I spent an evening with a friend watching old videos on Youtube, and this sparked a conversation about what kind of music we like, how diverse our tastes are, etc, etc, and this got me thinking about doing a blog post on the subject!

Firstly, I do honestly believe that every person has a particular genre that they favour the most, and therefore, always end up returning to it eventually, even though they may branch out and try other things now and then. By far my favourite genre is rock music! I love a wide variation of this particular type of music, from early 70s rock to some of the more modern bands of today. Some of my absolute favourites include; Marilyn Manson, Avenged Sevenfold, Trivium, Bullet for my Valentine, Pantera, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Linkin Park, Metallica, Queen, Rammstein, The Rasmus,My Chemical Romance, Muse,  U2, Evanescence - the list goes on, but I'm sure you get the picture! My love of rock music began at the tender age of about four, probably largely down to a parental influence, and it has basically just built from that point! 


As you can see, plonked right in the middle of the above picture is a Best of Housemartins/Beautiful South CD. I've been a massive fan of these guys since the 80s, and in my humble opinion, lead singer Paul Heaton is one of the most gifted song writers of our time! 

Staying with more of a 'pop' music theme, I also love Erasure, Jamiroquai, early Madonna, Kylie Minogue, The Carpenters, Yazoo, Duran Duran, Madness, Abba, Blondie, The Cure, Eurythmics, INXS, Republica, New Order - I could go on forever!


Growing up in the 70s I was also heavily into artists such as Gerry Rafferty, Electric Light Orchestra and Kate Bush (again a parental influence), and I although the following people are not type of artists I would listen to on a daily basis, I learned to appreciate the sheer  talents of the likes of Tom Jones, and music such as Northern Soul, which brought about a cult following during the time it was new and popular!

When I'm not feeling in the mood to head bang, or Tigger about the place, I love to relax with a little bit of soft Celtic, or some classical compositions.


My ultimate favourite composer is Beethoven. I'm not a world authority on the guy but I have looked into his life a little after I saw the film Immortal Beloved. Beethoven is brilliantly portrayed by the fabulous Gary Oldman (my favourite male actor), who brilliantly brings his story to life, playing the piano himself, and embracing the role so completely, that he practically re-incarnates the man! Fur Elise is my favourite!

So, other than my parents, have I been influenced by anyone else to listen to a particular band or artist, and then loved them and stuck with them? Surprisingly few, simply due to the fact that I am always on the hunt for new stuff myself! 


Today's musical accompaniment to my chores is the genius that is David Bowie! For me, his music never gets old or tired!

Now and then I do like to listen to some live recordings, however, the performer has to be something special and undoubtedly worth listening to!

As for the best ever live band and front man that existed? I will leave you with this unsurpassed example of someone's ability to hold 72,000 people in the palm of their hand and let you decide..........




 Who lives in your musical world?